“It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.”
Women all over the world use a vast array of beauty products on a routine basis. These products include cleansers, moisturizers, tonics, body wash and feminine care intimate hygiene solutions. We may use these products several times a day from the time we begin reading teen magazines and buying the latest lip gloss shade trending.
Do you take the time to read the list of ingredients contained in yours or your daughter’s beauty products?
Chemical Ingredients To Avoid In Feminine Care Products
There are many skin care products on the market that contain dangerous ingredients and whose safety is completely questionable. Some of these ingredients include synthetic scents, sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS), phthalates and parabens.
- PARABENS are preservatives that are added to cosmetics to increase their durability. Of course they do directly benefit the consumer, but do provide benefits for the manufacturer. In fact, they have adverse effects on us, including estrogenic properties. Some studies on laboratory animals demonstrated that continued application for a certain period of time had abnormal consequences on hormone levels. It has also been found that parabens accumulate in the breast tissue of women with breast cancer.
- PHTHALATES are a group of chemical compounds that are generally used as plasticizers (additives to plastic materials to increase their flexibility). It’s really hard to imagine that we need plasticizers in our skin care products, yet they can be found in cosmetics, soaps and various lotions. Significant amounts of phthalates in animal studies showed hormonal activity and were harmful to the liver, kidneys, lungs, and testes.
- LAURYLSOLFATE SODIUM, in brief SLS is an ingredient that gives foaminess to products such as shampoo or face cleansers. Many people believe that the ability to detoxify is directly proportional to the amount of foam produced, so companies use sodium lauryl sulphate to give us consumers the impression that a detergent is really effective. According to the American Institute of Toxicology this compound can penetrate into the eyes, brain, heart and liver, with potentially harmful effects. It may cause skin rashes, eczema and other skin irritations.
- PERFUMES OR SYNTHETIC FRAGRANCES can contain hundreds of chemicals. Some, such as methylene chloride, are carcinogenic and others can cause headaches, dizziness, cough, vomiting and skin irritation. These ingredients are almost never beneficial or appropriate to the needs of our skin.
- SUPER ABSORBENT POWDERS: Beware! Tampons, pads and panty liners may be made of mostly synthetics. Like rayon. The feminine pads you are using may also contain something called SAPs, which stands for Super Absorbent Powders, and may irritate your sensitive skin. Think how close those SAPs will be to you. Tampons and pads often contain wood pulp. It’s not what you expect. But that’s what you’re probably using.
- BLEACH: Make sure the feminine care products in contact with your intimate parts bleach using peroxide, a naturally occurring disinfectant, not chlorine bleach.